Firefighters who were called this morning to Chabad Street in Beitar Illit, managed to control a fire that broke out in a residential apartment. According to a preliminary investigation, the fire broke out as a result of menorah candles that were left lit |
A fire that broke out this morning (Thursday) in a residential apartment on Chabad Street in Beitar Illit caused heavy damage. By the grace of God there were no casualties. The initial note is that the fire broke out as a result of Hanukkah candles that remained lit.
Firefighters from the Beitar Illit station, who were called to the scene, managed to contain the fire at the end of firefighting operations. Incidentally, in the fire department, the fire brigade is again warning against leaving candles lit unattended, which could lead to a major disaster.
“We were called to a fire in an apartment on Chabad Street in the city,” says Major Yossi Raz, commander of the fire and rescue team. “We arrived at the scene within a few minutes. Even before we arrived at the building, we detected smoke coming from one of the apartments.”
“After an initial assessment of the situation, we broke into the apartment on the 1st floor, from which the smoke was source,” adds Raz. “We strived for contact with the hotline and extinguishing operations, in parallel with heat and smoke release operations and other trapped scans.
Reshef Avi Ben Saadon, the shift commander, said: “Another fire in the apartment ended in a miracle without any casualties. During the last period, we have witnessed an increase in the number of apartment fires in the city of Beitar Illit, and in general.
A preliminary investigation by the fire department reveals that candles were lit in the apartment during the night and in the morning, and these were left unattended by the household members who went out for their daily routine. “I reiterate that it is strictly forbidden to leave candles lit unattended, both Hanukkah candles and soul candles,” Saadon adds.