Juan Martin del Potro crushes hope to return in time for the Tokyo Olympics on his fourth right-knee surgery. The old World No. announced. 3 the news on his Instagram on Monday, when it emerged he was in Chicago about to go ahead with the work.
It marks the eighth time the 32-year-old will undergo surgery since winning his only Grand Slam title at the 2009 U.S. Open. The 22-time ATP Tour titlelist has not competed since June. 2019, when he broke his knee at the Queen’s Club, London.
“I have been talking to Dr Jorge Chahla and the news is that tomorrow I will have another knee surgery,” said del Potro. “We have tried conservative treatment but the pain is still there. He knows that I want to play tennis again and be able to play the Olympics, so we agreed that surgery should be performed as soon as possible. ”
The Olympic tennis event, which was postponed a year due to the pandemic, is expected to begin on July 24, a day after the opening service. The Argentine won a silver medal at the Rio 2016 Games and a bronze medal at the London 2012 Games.
Since the injury, del Potro has had operations on his right knee in June 2019, and in January and August last year. It comes in a difficult year in which he lost his father, Daniel, in January, after a heart attack in December.
You may also like: Del Potro honors the late Father with an emotional letter
“Of course, the last few weeks have not been easy for me,” he said. “Everything has been so hard since my father passed away. But also, I feel the strength it sends me from above. I had this day in which I woke up and called the doctor. I knew I had to try again.
“I hope I can overcome this sad situation. I will not stop trying. Of course, your messages and greetings are always welcome. Thanks for the love. Pay attention.”