⚡ Welcome back to Authority of the Week, the Android Authority a newsletter that takes a look back over the week’s top Android and tech news.
🚢 Tristan Rayner on deck here, and again, glad I wasn’t on deck here.
Popular news this week
Credit: Eric Zeman / Android Authority
What a week! A quick launch, reviews too, and several new phones, comments, and comparison points, as well as a new Qualcomm processor that looks like a healthy upgrade to the mid-range.
- One of the biggest things that happened this week was a bad Android app hitting debacle, at the hands of a bad Google update to its Android System WebView developer part. That broke a huge number of Android devices and a lot of people just thought their devices were broken – my colleagues here had to visit their families in some cases to help. What a disaster.
And instead of launching – more news:
Credit: Authority Dhruv Bhutani / Android
Obviously the two biggest reviews this week were the OnePlus 9 Pro review and the OnePlus 9 review, both very interesting phones for a variety of reasons.
- The Pro came out swimming with its Hasselblad stamped camera chops and updated performance, but at $ 969 it’s against the biggest name in the land, in Samsung, and its very good Galaxy S21 for just $ 30 in addition.
- And the OnePlus 9 is $ 240 less. It backs up camera specs and loses telephoto, low-speed wireless charging, and mmWave 5G, and it’s a bit smaller … but does any of that matter? The display and performance are the same, the 5G distribution continues to sweat, and if you go with T-Mobile, you get OnePlus at IP68 9. I don’t know.
- But it feels like a real question, and I think that’s a good thing! Too often I wouldn’t consider the top-spec tool just because the gap to the vanilla model is so large that it’s almost destroyed.
- March 29: Launch of Xiaomi Mi 11 Pro, Mi 11 Ultra – with new battery technology?
- April 6: Intel Launches “How Wonderful Gets Done 2021”
- April 12: Nvidia GTC Conference
Tech Tweet of the Week
Here is what happened to Ever Givgen:
– Eric Moreno (@ KingNeptune767) March 27, 2021
Best wishes from your tech enthusiast who recently received the vaccine
Tristan Rayner, Editor-in-Chief.